- You are here: Home
- About us
- Main Functions
- Performing as a bibliographic center of comprehensive collections on Myanmar published locally and overseas
- Collecting and preserving all national publications and Myanmar ancient manuscriptsAcquiring the collections from Southeast Asian countries and disseminate to people
- Providing the interlibrary loan with libraries and institutions within the country and abroad
- Promoting and encouraging the library movements by cooperating with internationally
- Compiling and publishing the Myanmar National Bibliography
- Compiling and publishing the indexes of Myanmar periodicals and subject bibliographies on Myanmar
- Providing the library training throughout the short courses and in service to profession from other libraries and practical training to students on the Post-Graduate Diploma in Library Management.
- Providing the standards on the library professional in order to equal throughout the country
- Promoting and upgrading the information technology in the library and for participating in the Southeast Asia Regional Network
- Providing the Children Library Services
Offering Post-Graduate Diploma on Library Management
With the collaboration of Department of Historical Research, National Library and the National University of Arts and Culture (Mandalay), Post-Graduate Diploma on Library Management Course is offered by the National Library (Naypyitaw) since 2014-2015 fiscal year. Any graduate from the government universities are allowed to join the course. It is One year course and period is from 10 a.m. to 4:20 p.m. in week days. library and information subjects are offered by the senior librarians and teachers from the Yadanabon University. After completion, post Graduate Diploma in Library Management (PGDLM) certificate is conferred by the National University of Arts and Culture (Mandalay)
As the national Library is member of Congress of Southeast Asia Librarians (CONSAL) and Conference on Directors of National Libraries in Asia and Oceania (CDNLAO), it has been connecting with the member libraries and participates in the library cooperation activities and programmes.
Apart from that, the library is implementing the cultural cooperation projects by hosting ASEAN cultural meetings, seminars and workshops, and by participating to ASEAN member states' programmes, by coordinating with Culture and information Unit of ASEAN Secretariat.
Digitization of very rare and old manuscripts and books is initiated in 2013. About 100 volumes of printed publications and manuscripts collections are scanned and transformed to PDF files is under process.